Noteworthy Facts About Epidurals
Occasionally, persistent back pain may confine itself to one spot with the option of radiating throughout your entire body. Whichever the case, this pain can be demanding and prevent you from enjoying your life as you please. Suppose you seek Houston epidural solutions for your condition, reach out to the specialists to receive top-notch treatment. Call or book online today.
What is an Epidural?
An epidural contains a combination of cortisone and a numbing anesthetic, a steroid. This injection helps control pain. Your specialist injects this drug in the area surrounding your spinal cord, known as epidural space. Afterward, you will feel some instant pain relief from the anesthetic—the cortisone kicks in weeks later to reduce the irritation and inflammation prompting your ongoing pain.
When Do I Need an Epidural?
An epidural may come in handy during childbirth. Although it is their most common application, Houston Pain Specialists further recommend epidurals to address other kinds of unending pain. Your expert might suggest an epidural to help alleviate pain resulting from:
· Bone spurs
· Spine surgery
· Herniated disc
· Spinal stenosis
· Pinched nerves
Usually, an epidural is an alternative where other conventional options fail to yield significant results. After examining your medical history and reasons for seeking the treatment, you may qualify for the remedy if you:
· Lack infections
· Suffer chronic pain in your back
· Have no evidence of blood clotting complications
· Other methods prove ineffective for your pain
· Lack diabetes or have your condition under control
· Have no allergies to anesthesia
If you are ineligible for epidural injection, Houston Pain Specialists will assist you in finding more viable treatments for your pain. You may also be asked to wait for a reasonable time.
What Should I Expect After My Epidural?
You may experience soreness for a few days following your treatment. Your provider will advise you to rest for the remaining part of your day after your appointment. If you feel no discomfort, you can resume your daily activities the next day.
After two to five days following your appointment, you should start feeling respite from your unending pain. Epidural effects tend to vary among individuals. Whereas this treatment may not do much to counter pain for some individuals, others report substantial progress for close to a few months.
What are the Benefits of Epidural?
· Alternative for Oral Medication- Epidurals may reduce or eliminate the need for oral medications that pose long-term effects.
· Reduction of Inflammation and Nerve Pain- Steroids can reduce the generation of inflammatory chemicals and limit the pain sensitivity of nerve fibers.
· Avoiding Surgery- Epidural injections can eliminate the need for surgery by providing the necessary pain relief you need.
· Physical Therapy- With epidurals, you can get adequate pain relief to let you continue your rehabilitative physical pain program effectively.
How Often Can I Get Steroid Injections?
These treatments should be administered almost three to six times annually. Ideally, you can have these injections a week apart for a new disc herniation if you aim for fast and complete symptom resolution. Three to six months intervals are advisable for chronic conditions.
If you seek to find out whether epidural injection is ideal for your pain management plan, call the providers of Houston Pain Specialists or go online to book your appointment.